July 22, 2010

Summer Salads Take Over My Kitchen

This has been the week of yummy summer salads. I was feeling burned out on the "plain" ol' green salad, and looking for exciting recipes to satisfy not just my tummy, but my palate as well.

First, a cilantro couscous cucumber salad:

1 cup couscous
1 cup veggie broth
1/2 cup water
1 large cucumber
1 medium squash
1/2-1 cup finely diced red onion
1-2 green onions, sliced thin
2 lemons
1/4 cup olive oil
salt/pepper/dried peppers/any spices that strike your fancy.

Cook couscous according to directions, let cool (I added about 1 cup of cooked quinoa that was sitting in the fridge as well... any small grain or even orzo would mix with the couscous). Zest both lemons onto the cooled couscous, then add all veggies and spices. Cut zested lemons in half and squeeze over the salad, then drizzle the olive oil and mix well. You can refrigerate at this point to let the flavors blend, or just eat it straight out of the mixing bowl, like I did!

After serving, Jacob and Albert added Feta to their bowls, which they claim is delicious as well.

This salad was so fresh, and cool, and the cucumbers and lemon complimented each other so perfectly.... It was a party in my mouth! And the recipe is not only easy, but lends itself to doubling or tripling. This salad is now my summer potluck action plan: delicious, flavorful, filling!

The second salad is a vegan pasta salad. I've been wishing for those "traditional" summer party foods, and decided with a potluck coming up tomorrow, I just had to go ahead and make one for myself!

Delicious Pasta Salad of Yum

1 lb pasta (I used bow ties... how pretty!)
1 small red onion, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 lemon cucumbers, seeds removed and diced
1 small carrot, diced
1/2 can black olives, sliced (or 1 can of pre-sliced)

Dressing: (measurements approximate, as I was just having fun)
1 1/2 cup vegan mayo
1/4 cup stone ground mustard
1/4 cup dill relish
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
spices to taste

Boil the pasta to al dente, drain and rinse with cold water. Put it in a bowl and pile veggies on top. In a separate bowl mix the dressing ingredients, taste and add more of the mayo mustard or relish as needed (I love pickles so I added another big spoonful of relish). Spice to taste, pour over noodles/veggies and mix well. Again, you can refrigerate or just munch away!

The thing I love most about these salads is after all the cutting is done they are so easy! I can impress a crowd and feed myself, even if everything else at the potluck is not vegan. With these recipes I dont feel left out, or jealous, or hungry... Just satisfied that I'm spreading the news that hey, life without eggs or dairy can still be delicious!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deleted the first comment cuz i spell like a 1st grader after my 2nd glass of wine.

    This sounds delish, I will be bringing it to dinner tomorrow on the lake. I miss you and your cooking Margo-pants!

    ReplyDelete