July 15, 2010

Two weeks, already?

It's the 15th, already? Which means I have been following my plant-based diet for 2 weeks, holy cow!

I've been feeling great so far... Not missing anything too much, although it's harder for J and I to agree on meals anymore, and he's been very reluctant to cook for me. His reluctance has really been my biggest hurdle, and as the weeks go on and he sees how good I'm feeling he's talking more and more about giving up dairy himself. I've been enjoying trying new recipes, and new types of food, and new baking techniques. Lots of quinoa, which I love: it's delicious, matches well with bunches of ingredients, and a perfect protien? Amazing.

My one downfall, I've found, is that I am falling back on sugary and convenience foods more often than not, so limiting both processed and sugar foods is my next goal. I'll have to do more advance planning to make sure I have easy to prepare meals and yummy snacks without all the sugar.

I went on a baking spree this week, both to test some vegan recipes I found, and to pay back my Auntie for buying me a 16 Qt pressure canner. (I bartered 2-doz cookies for it... best deal ever!) I made macaroons with carob chips, coconut balls rolled in powdered sugar, and traditional CC cookies. The macaroons were very popular, I could barely get a picture before they were all snatched up!

Coconut Balls (modified from Martha Stewart's recipe, but only a little.)

* 2 sticks Nucoa, softened
* 1/3 cup sifted confectioner's sugar, plus more for dusting
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
* 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter with 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Mix in flour, nutmeg and salt until they're just combined. Stir in coconut.
2. Roll dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake until just starting to brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes, remove to a rack and sift the extra confectioners' sugar over the top. Let them cool completely. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week.

1 comment:

  1. Have you been sure to take your Vitamin B 12? It is a vitamin that is only available in animal products. I want my vegan Margaret to be a healthy Margaret. Don't forget your Iron. And yes, quinoa is supposedly a perfect protein. So eat lots. :)

    And good job, cuz sure as hell can't give up my cheese!

    ReplyDelete